Come grow your career with us and get paid
to experience the green industry firsthand.
Participate in work projects on Rhode Island’s public lands, while learning skills and topics that are essential to success in green industry jobs and careers. Plant-based industries are seeing growing demand for their products and services; throughout 2020, green industry companies have continued to work and have even increased their hiring, with vigilant attention to COVID-19 safety protocols.
The heart of the Growing Futures Career Catalyst Training is hands-on green collar work. First, participants will attend an orientation in mid-December. Then, participants will work in small crews improving RI state lands with supervision from experienced industry professionals for two days per week, for three weeks in January.
As a complement to the hands-on work, Growing Futures Career Catalyst Training participants will orient to the broad horticulture industry through online learning modules that have been developed with direct input from industry professionals.
Growing Futures Career Catalyst Training
Online information session on November 24, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Online orientation on December 21, 2020; training program from January 4 to January 29, 2021 with a break for the holiday season.
30 hours per week for 4 weeks (15 hours of online training and 15 hours of on-the-job training each week)
$480 per week for 4 weeks.
Hybrid — both online training and hands-on green industry work.
Online training and travel to project worksites throughout Rhode Island. Assistance with transportation may be provided.
To participate, you must:
- Be 18 or older.
- Be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Have access to a computer or tablet and an internet connection to participate in the online learning modules. If you do not have a computer, Growing Futures may be able to provide one for you for the duration of the training program.
- Wear appropriate winter clothing to do physical work outdoors.
- Have access to reliable transportation. If you need assistance with this, please indicate this in your application.
An ideal candidate for this training program and for green industry jobs:
- Loves being outside and engaging with natural materials (plants, soil, wood, stone).
- Has endurance for long days of physical work and finds satisfaction in it.
- Is enthusiastic and motivated to work in the green industry.
- Is willing and eager to learn.
Please let us know if you have any prior relevant work experience in plant care, outside work, manual labor, or other work with your hands and power tools. Prior experience is helpful, but not required.